Friday, August 15, 2008

Fun and Games

The other day, I was horrified to discover how many games I have going on in my life. The horror is only fully realized when you consider that, way in the past, I only dabbled in one or two games at most at any one time, and only when others prodded me to join in. As a kid of course there was the Nintendo console with our limited repetoire of games. I had an old school Gameboy on which I only really enjoyed Tetris, because it appealed to the puzzle-solver side of me. In my teen years the console games tapered off, but then we got a computer. It started first with Starcraft (with which I had to take turns with my brother, as we had only one working computer at the time), then Counterstrike (with which I had to bully on to my ex-boyfriend's computer to play at all). During that time period Tetrinet and Worms were sprinkled throughout.

Then my current boyfriend, who spent a whole lot of times that I visited him playing FFXI, and after that, WoW, asked me to try giving WoW a shot. I complied because, you know, if you can't beat 'em, you join 'em. I discovered that I hate people and their bullshit in general, but that, unfortunately, I did enjoy having to work together with others to achieve things. Even then, there's a whole lot of thinking involved, and sometimes I go to bed with a slight headache.

My brother got me a copy of TF2 recently, and that was the perfect game to add to all the thinking/puzzle games I spend my idle time indulging in. If I wanted to I can think in that game, but it's so much more fun to hop on a Soldier or Demoman and start blowing shit up. Especially if it's one of the push-the-cart maps. The mindless mayhem clears my head the way the other games I enjoy don't. It's so good I can play perfectly alone, on a random server where I don't know anybody, and I walk away grinning.

Anyways here's a list of games I'm currently playing:

PC
World of Warcraft
Team Fortress 2
Freestyle Basketball
Guitar Hero 3
Warhammer 2 (Coming Soon!)

DS
Picross
Touch Detective
Cooking Mama
Under the Knife

PSP
Patapon

XBox
Rock Band

And, well, uh. If people ask me for a few rounds of Tetrinet, you can bet that I'll join, as I always did when I was free.

Staring at this list, even though I know I don't play all of these every day, or even every single week, it's still no wonder I don't have a new job yet. ); And goddammit, where is the time in the day to go out and play some handball?

No comments: