Monday, August 4, 2008

Surely I'm Not Too Old For This

So I noticed that there were two options to post - one to leave as a comment, and one to make a new post. I understand the concept Suse's associate(s) mentioned about having a sort of collaborative train-of-thought blog where you share one blog with others, but as I'm not getting any younger, I feel totally lost as to the etiquette of posting and commenting. Do you use the comment function only when you want to reply to a particular post? What if your reply actually grows into something longer and more involved, is it still a comment or does it merit an entirely new post? Are new posts meant for entirely new ideas and trains of thought?

Now my head is sort of spinning and I'm nowhere near as sick as Suse. );

I will take this opportunity to relate a part of my morning, however. If only because the incident prompted a recurring thought I've been having for a couple of years now. I was getting ready to get off the train, and I was the only one standing by the double doors as the train pulled into the station. As usual, a crowd of people wanting to get on the train assembled outside the door as the train stopped. You would think that since I was one person, the crowd would let me off real quick so that they can all get in. But one guy in a dress shirt, a guy one wouldn't call skinny, but perhaps call short, had to barrel past me on my right side, brushing rather roughly on my left side, and as a reflex (these days I cannot stand being touched by strangers in any way) I shoved my elbow into him as I quickly stepped off the train. As I walked away I realized I didn't feel any better after shoving the miserable man. And immediately I began dreaming/wondering as I often do these days about whether there was a place, a neighborhood on this stupid planet where people weren't such rude sons of bitches that I'd be tempted to be a terrible person back to them. When I express outrage at people's behavior I often hear that it is human nature, and yet somehow that does not comfort me in the least. I'm not saying everyone needs to smile at everyone else or anything like that, just get out of their own heads enough to think of little things like, hey only one person needs to get off the train through this door, let the person go before rushing on the train to find a seat. Just little things like that. But I guess it just doesn't happen. I understand that a few bad apples makes it feel as though the ones doing good get screwed. That miserable man most definitely got a seat while the others in the crowd who were going to allow me to rush past lost a chance at that same seat.

And I thought there was seriously something wrong with that. It might be partly why I don't believe in a mighty God that smites the wicked and blesses the good. When I'm sick as a puppy though, I want to believe if only because I can beg for some bit of mercy. "Okay, if only this terrible nausea will go away, I promise I'll live a good, God-fearing life."

I'll settle for finding a city or town where the people aren't such assholes.

No comments: