Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chicken 9 & 10: Double Edition

Whoops, I missed a day of updates. I did it on Friday, but hey it's Friday. I feel a lil worse about missing it yesterday as I have to combine two days worth of info into one post. I did not expect to be consuming alcohol en masse on Monday and well things caught up to me.

Why am I taking crap for missing a day from others though? It's technically not even my blog!

Who's even reading this?

Chicken 9: Noodly

In a tribute to God this week, udon was on the plate. Actually it was more of an oversized styrofoam cup, but the container is not as important as the contents.

Udon noodles with chicken tempura were the main ingredients (though the tempura part of the chicken obviously didn't stay crunchy in the soup) supplemented by scallions, carrots and mushrooms. Spice can be added if you're looking for heat, but I decided not to test my gastrointestinal tract any more than I had the previous day with the combination of a lot of chicken and equally plentiful amounts of alcohol.

Noodles were chewy, scallions and carrots crunchy (making up for the tempura I suppose) and the chicken carrying a good flavor. The chicken was definitely not dry, nor was it only not dry because it was sitting in soup. The mushrooms had an annoying habit of floating to the top and sticking to the side of the container when the soup level lowered.

Seemed like it was just a step above something like instant noodle, with for real chicken parts. The soup was a lot less salty and full of msg (good for the lighter meal I was looking for) and well, everything was pretty unspectacular. I've had it before, I'll have it again.

Chicken 10: Bourbon

Oh boy today was not a good chicken day. Considering our options, we decided to venture to the South Street Seaport to take in the food court. Holy crap that place was crowded. Come on its a Wednesday, what the hell are all you people doing outside of your socially constructed cages? Moving to the back of the court, we come to the decision to get bourbon chicken from what I think used to be called Bourbon Street but was renamed to something I don't remember.

So me and my cohort order up the same meal: bourbon chicken, orange chicken and noodles. Totaled up to $7.99 and tax for the meal. Thought it was $6.99 but maybe the carry out containers have a surcharge. I didn't care enough at the time to argue the buck, and the women behind the counter didn't seem to have a strong enough grasp of English for me to effectively communicate with without getting frustrated.

Because the area was crowded up with chattering meatbags taking up all the seating, we step outside to consume our meals in the brisk fall weather. Opening the container showed the two types of chicken, noodles and a surprise fried drumstick sitting on top. It was all downhill from there.

The bourbon chicken was not bad; Moist, tender, slightly sweet with plenty of flavor. The fried drumstick was decent; crunchy outside, slightly on the dryer side and not overly salty. Noodles were just greasy for the most part. But then there was the orange chicken. Chicken chunks were overly breaded and basically soaked in an uncomfortably sweet and tangy orange sauce. The sauce actually got all over everything, other than the drumstick, and there was plenty of it. Way too much of it. All the breading on the chicken did not help in the least, making it a chore to chew and making it hard for me to discern whether I was chewing on chicken or breading.

Yeah that was no good today. I'm not tapping that well again.

No comments: